APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Multicam Editing Tips

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Multicam Editing Tips
on Dec 21, 2019 at 2:30:10 am

[Oliver Peters] "Extremely sluggish performance and lots of spinning beachballs. We are 10GbE through a switch with 9 connected workstations. Media is fine, it's the Libraries and how FCPX works with these files. Conversely, we have no issues with Premiere Pro project files on QNAP.

We also have a Jellyfish, which has become our main storage. It's better optimized for FCPX and I can run with Libraries on Jellyfish. However, all things considered, FCPX works best when the Libraries are local on very fast drives, because the app is constantly writing updates to the Library file."

Sequential reads dominate the I/O profile of typical video apps, which is easier for a NAS to handle. However FCPX is using a SQLite database which entails lots of small random I/Os. Somehow Lumaforge has cracked that code and uses clever caching to give good performance, unlike a QNAP.

Premiere project files must have a more traditional I/O profile. Resolve can either use a "disk database" (apparently a flat file) or a PostgreSQL client/server database on the same machine or a server.

It would be interesting to evaluate the I/O performance of Resolve configured for a local PostgreSQL database with that storage redirected to a NAS. That would be the closest equivalent to what FCPX does.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]