APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Will I lose resolution or camera information

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Will I lose resolution or camera information
on Aug 19, 2019 at 3:22:56 pm

[Mark Suszko] "You can also save space by telling FCPX to leave the source files wherever they are, and not import them into the library... only, I find this to be risky, since it makes it more possible that the connections to the originals might get lost at some point. "

In my experience FCPX regular media links on an HFS+ volume are very reliable. In addition to storing pathnames to those files in SQL tables inside the library, it also stores the inode of each file as a backup locator.

You can shut down FCPX, rename each media file, then move each media file to a different folder on that disk, then open the library package and delete all symbolic links to those files, then when FCPX restarts it will automatically and transparently use inode lookup to find each renamed/relocated media file and rebuild the path pointers and symlinks to those files.

This unfortunately does not work for proxies, only regular media. It only works within a single disk volume, but for a changed or renamed volume FCPX can scan the entire volume and relink those.

Of course the media files could just plain get lost or accidentally discarded, in that case nothing will help.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]