APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Will I lose resolution or camera information

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robert Selfe
Will I lose resolution or camera information
on Aug 16, 2019 at 3:54:49 pm

Will I lose resolution or camera information by importing Mp4 - 4K, re-cordered on a Sony A7iii into FCP X, ProRes 422, Rec 709. And then exporting the file as Master File (default) ProRes 422 4K.

What I am trying to do is clean up my camera files to trim unwanted footage or split long segments into multiple shorter segments. I am not doing any correction at all, just bringing the footage into FCP X trimming and exporting file by file.

The same question as above but the workflow changes to opening the Original File in Quicktime and using the Trim option to remove unwanted footage.

If I use " Save " after trimming, the file stays as a mp4 at 121 MB. if I use "Export As ~4K, the file changes to .mov and the file sizes drops to 27 MB.

The Original Sony mp4 ( camera original ) file before trimming is 264 MB, after trimming from 21 sec to 10 sec in FCP X and exporting to ProRes 422, it now becomes 557 MB

If I take everything together, Logic seems to say that using Quicktime to trim and then using "Save" I will end up with a trimmed version of the Original file without any Loss of quality.

This would save on the large ProRes file generated if I do the trimming and exporting in FCP X.

Does all this make sense..????

The Sony Codecs is H.264, Linear PCM

Color Profile HD (1-1-1)

Thanks for any help

Robert

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]