APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Project in Use - What does this really mean?

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Project in Use - What does this really mean?
on Aug 12, 2019 at 8:23:26 pm
Last Edited By Joe Marler on Aug 12, 2019 at 8:30:52 pm

[Tangier Clarke] " I have yet to solve the FCP X problem of duplicate clips and projects when dealing with moving or copying events via FCP X menu items or exporting/ importing XMLs."

I know two situations which can cause spurious duplicates and mis-linked files.

(1) If the original media had duplicate filenames, even if those were kept in separate folders. This creates a "name space collision" since FCPX sometimes places those files or symlinks within the same folder.

FCPX tries to solve this by appending a "uniquifier" suffix (fcp1), etc. to the file or symlink. However it doesn't work right in all cases, such as when loading an XML.

The XML dialog gives you two options: replace or keep both. Even if you say replace it may still create a duplicate clip. I filed this as a bug with Apple about two years ago.

Our solution is rename all files before ingest so they are globally unique by appending a 5-digit incrementing serial number. We use the 3rd party tool "A Better Finder Rename": https://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/index.html

Besides the bug, it's a better practice to have unique filenames anyway, whether achieved in camera or as part of the offload.

(2) Duplicates can happen if drag/dropping projects, clips or multicams between libraries. In some cases the media links can go to the wrong file. The solution is never drag these items "bare" between libraries -- only do so within a transfer event.

Sam Mestman discusses this from 06:30 to 11:00 in the below video, but you may want to watch Sam's whole talk from 02:00 to 11:00. He demonstrates this on a Lumaforge NAS but it's not unique to a NAS.

I don't know why this isn't part of any formal documentation or tutorial.

https://hazu.io/pixelcorps/fcvug-7

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]