APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

'Screen Flickering' Dilemma in FCPX!

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index

Matthew Sedmock
'Screen Flickering' Dilemma in FCPX!
on Aug 8, 2019 at 12:42:30 pm

Hi, folks….I’m hoping someone can help diagnose what has become a very frustrating dilemma. I’ve been experiencing a monitor/graphics ‘screen-flickering’ problem. I use a 2015 iMac 27-inch, running the latest Mojave, with 32 gigs of RAM. About 6 weeks ago, while working on a project in FCPX, this ‘screen-flickering’ happened. Sometimes it goes from visual-to-black, repeatedly…and sometimes it stops for a bit..and then continues. But it almost always occurs in FCPX. Sometimes between ‘flickers’, I’m able to close out of FCPX and other programs, and other times I simply have to power off and then re-boot.

So, the first time, I took it to an Apple store, and the feeling from the tech was that the 32 gigs of Ram I added to the 8 gigs that came with the system weren’t ‘playing nice’. So they had me remove the 8 original gigs and just use the 32.

This lasted for a day or so, and then the ‘flickering’ happened again.

I took it to the Apple store again, and they suggested re-installing the OS. So Mojave was re-loaded. Both times, they ran extensive diagnostics and everything appeared ‘normal’.

Several days later, it started happening again. So I took it to a Mac repair shop. He did extensive diagnostics but reported nothing unusual.

When it happened again a couple days later, I thought that maybe something with FCPX wasn’t playing nicely. So, I bought DaVinci Resolve 15. I also changed out the cable from my external hard-drive to an e-SATA-to-Thunderbolt connection, thinking maybe it was the transfer cable. I then re-did a whole 7-minute project in Resolve, and about 95% of the way done, the ‘flickering’ started again.

I then took it to another Mac repair shop. His diagnostics showed nothing, but he’s convinced that I need a SSD. So, he put one in and re-installed the OS yet again. I returned with it on Monday. And today…same thing.

I’m at my wit’s end. I’m using 8- or 1-bit 4k files primarily (but not always) and letting FCPX convert them to ‘proxy’. There are large chunks of time where I can actually ‘work’ and get things done in FCPX. But, invariably, the ‘flickering’ hits, and then I’m done.

Any thoughts or insight?? Very frustrating. Thanks!

Posts Index 

Current Message Thread:
  • 'Screen Flickering' Dilemma in FCPX! by Matthew Sedmock on Aug 8, 2019 at 12:42:30 pm

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]