APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Shooting at higher frame rates is better than lower for future slow mo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Lee
Re: Shooting at higher frame rates is better than lower for future slow mo
on Apr 21, 2019 at 4:46:33 pm

I've been sticking to the following frame rate to get the most motion blur as possible on the Varicam:

Low action shot:
38-59 fps: 1/60s, 180 deg allowable minimum shutter

Medium action shot:
60-96 fps: 1/100s allowable minimum shutter

High action shot:
120-240fps: 1/250 allowable minimum shutter

At first the reduced motion blur is a shock to get used to. But after a while, I'm used to it. It passed qc because qc mostly concerned with constant frame rate and not shutter angle or speed. But artistic intention is not the same when you have a 360 deg shutter angle. It looks sharp and fast-action like. There is a mathematical proportion with frame rate and shutter speed. I found at 48-59 fps is a good compromise to get some slow mo while having the ability to use the clip as regular motion with 180 deg shutter motion blur. The motion blur is there, but not as much as 360 deg.

The dual recording medium capability of the Varicam allows me to shoot both high frame rate and standard (29.97fps) with full 4-track audio. I compared the high frame rate by speeding it up on FCP X and the actual recorded frame rate. They all mathematically virtually identical to each other. That is a good thing because of more ability to ramp in and out with higher frame rate. Trying to slow a super fast motion on a 29.97fps footage is not the same as shooting it at 240 fps to begin with.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]