APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Shooting at higher frame rates is better than lower for future slow mo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Lee
Shooting at higher frame rates is better than lower for future slow mo
on Apr 19, 2019 at 11:42:53 pm

Is it better to shoot moderate to fast action scenes at higher frame rates (240 fps) and later speed it up 2-8x to get the desired slow-mo rate than shooting it at slower (120 fps) and slow it down? This is all done with the latest Panasonic Varicam cam.

I done some preliminary export tests of a 240 fps sequence in a 29.97 fps time base, speeding it up 2x in FCPx to get it it to 120 fps and found it's very hard to tell it apart from a 120 fps originated shot. The 240 fps clip allows 2x slower sequence in case I needed but also can be sped up faster. I also took advantage of speed ramping. The 240 fps clip has more frames to play with and certainly looks smoother than trying to slow down a 120 fps 2x to get it to 240 fps. With no resource limitation on camera media and storage, is this a good thing to do? The cons to this : 2x the storage space needed, more camera media needed on location., and longer offload of footage time.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]