APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joby Anthony Jr
Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?
on Apr 8, 2019 at 5:41:06 pm

Tangier, I know this is a few weeks down the road from your initial question, but you described the same dilemma we've wrestled with. It resonated.

For what it's worth, what I've ended up doing is saving the card originals on a couple of harddrives for a period of time. As the drives fill up, basically rolling off old cards as newer ones come in. That way I can always go back to a card original if I need to for any reason (e.g., are we missing a clip from the card, corruption somewhere in the handoff, rewrap, rename, moving, etc. process, and so on). I've probably got a year and a half worth of cards I can go back to. Comes in handy from time-to-time, especially as a double-check. But ultimately relying on the re-wrap re-names as the master files down-the-line, for many of the reasons mentioned by others.

I also appreciated your testing and reporting on re-wrap/don't re-wrap. Bret's info about treating mxf files was news to me. But glad to know that at least your experience seemed to reveal no harm either way. Might help me re-think some of our workflow.

And to Joe's point about future-proofing the library as maybe just as or more important. Yes!! I discovered much later than I should have that little tidbit coming off 10.0 several years ago. Once discovered, did a 30-day panic to convert everything. I pay closer to attention to these things now!

Joby.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]