APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?
on Mar 9, 2019 at 1:21:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "...wanted shots that may not have been used in the original. Sometimes they're looking for things left "on the cutting room floor" as it were. It only happens occasionally but it was far easier for me to import from the camera masters into FCPX than to try to resurrect and FCP legacy project. "

In my case it's not the legacy project but the legacy library that's important. The last doc I worked on had 125 multi-cam interviews, 151 camera hours of material, 62 hrs external multi-channel audio, 3,133 clips totaling about 10 terabytes. Weeks of effort by multiple assistants went into rating and keywording the material. This enables later rapid retrieval during post -- and afterward.

After delivery, if a subsequent request comes in to find a certain camera angle from a certain interview or to find additional b-roll to cover dialog, for me it's usually easier to leverage the library which is already highly organized. This is especially for cases where sync'd multicams or sync'd external foreign language audio is required -- that's already done inside the library. If I kept only the camera files I couldn't relink to those so the massive investment in the library would be lost.

In Tangier's case, another complication is he probably cannot import the MXF with "leave files in place". That can be a major issue if dealing with lots of material. It makes the library huge, which makes file-level library backups difficult. You can alter library properties to store that externally but that media will be in the reorganized FCPX folder structure and bear little resemblance to the original.

I like doing most of the data organizing inside FCPX, but I do a small amount outside before import -- rename files, use a basic folder structure based on shooting day, operator+camera type, etc. Tree-oriented camera media is a dilemma. If you try to rename those in Finder, it may run afoul of embedded metadata storing the original filename. Some manufacturers have proprietary ingest tools to handle this. Or if you copy the bare video files out of the tree to obtain "leave files in place", it might cause other problems.

Whether the files are re-wrapped by FCPX during import or by EditReady before import, if those are not saved you cannot later relink, thus you can never reload the project OR library. This creates the "double save" dilemma Tangier is trying to avoid. You either trust the rewrapped files and write off the camera files or buy more disk drives or LTO tape and save two copies of camera media *and* two copies of the rewrapped media.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]