APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tangier Clarke
Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?
on Mar 9, 2019 at 3:25:49 am

Joe, I almost exclusively use EditReady to pre-process all of my media to rewrap it to .mov files and also to create unique nomenclature for the files; at least for AVCHD content coming from a C100. Also, it's been my routine for many years to archive to to cloned SATA drives and then use NeoFInder to catalogue them. I agree, one will fail at some point.

In the case of the FS7 clips, FCP X actually retains more of the correct metadata importing it directly, rather than through EditReady. They're close, but FCP X is still a little better. Essentially FCP X is rewrapping it too. I am not having it transcode on import being that FCP X supports MXF anyway. I just pull the clips out of the library package, and can use the Finder to rename them and bring them back in. I really wish FCP X would bring back the FCP 7 feature to rename finder clips based on the names in the NLE since FCP X can do custom naming like EditReady; albeit it's bound exclusively to the FCP X database.

If there ever was a need to resurrect a project it for sure would be using the rewrapped media, not with the camera original. I am trying to avoid the 2x or 4x penalty too.

I hear what you're saying though. There really is no perfect answer. It depends on the importance of the content among other things.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]