APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Keep the camera originals or not - what say you?
on Mar 9, 2019 at 2:30:41 am

[Tangier Clarke] "Essentially I have duplicates of now of the same content. The original structure on a hard drive and the rewrapped....is there an incentive to keep the originals or is it safe to use the rewrapped files as the new masters and back up those?"

Tangier, as always a good question. The problem is the original camera files cannot be relinked to your library because you imported from rewrapped files. The filenames differ. In some cases you can change the suffix and it will relink but that is tricky. If any other part of the filename is changed it won't relink.

Obviously you can frame match each clip in the project by eye or maybe timecode offset into the clip but that is very tedious.

If the files were wrapped before import with something like EditReady, the mov files are probably OK long term. There is a small possibility some future change in how metadata is handled might require re-import from the camera files.

I think there's probably a greater chance of a future request for some slight change in the project, then you need to reload it (plus media) and make that change. In that case having the camera files wouldn't help since you can't relink to those.

If the material isn't that big you could keep both. However for archival storage you need at least two separate copies. Any single disk or tape can fail at any time. So the feasibility/risk calculation should include this 2x penalty, which would be 4x for both camera and re-wrapped files.

I would personally rewrap those using EditReady, rename the files according to our system, import then discard the camera files. If the material was of extreme value I might also keep the camera files.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]