APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Playing hundreds of clips at once in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Playing hundreds of clips at once in FCPX
on Oct 6, 2018 at 12:17:13 pm

[Cat Heller] "trying to make a video where 144 small clips play at once...mostly shot on smartphones...resize them to 11% and desaturate them.."

The below article discussed doing this for 64 concurrent videos on a top spec 2013 Mac Pro. You are doing over twice that.

"Building a 64 layer chessboard project in Final Cut Pro X": http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1472-building-a-64-layer-chessboar...

If I understand correctly, you are playing 144 concurrent video streams simultaneously. Is that right? If so that is extremely challenging -- on any NLE or any hardware. This would especially be so for H264 which is likely what the smart phones use. Some may even be HEVC which is much more compute-intensive than H264. If any of those are 4k it's even harder.

It might be best to transcode everything to 1080p ProRes or create proxies for everything (proxies are 1/2 the linear and 1/4 the area resolution), so proxy of 4k is 1080p and proxy of 1080p is 960x540. This is usually adequate resolution for editing and will greatly increase performance.

If you are already using proxies, the only solution might be get a faster machine. You will also likely need a high bandwidth I/O system. Even if all your content is 1080p/30 H264 at the iPhone spec of 130 MB/min, this still equates to 2.2 MB/sec * 144 or 317 MB/sec, with nothing left over for anything else such as cache, library I/O, etc.

Or -- if your video tiles are always small and never grow to a larger size, you could possibly use Compressor or Handbrake to transcode those before ingest to a lower resolution, such as 480x270 or smaller. That would decrease the CPU and I/O burden.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]