APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: CHALLENGED! Making transition from FCP7 to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: CHALLENGED! Making transition from FCP7 to FCPX
on Aug 10, 2018 at 3:17:55 pm

[Andrew Johnstone] " The idea that the magnetic timeline works some sort of magic is a nonsense..."

There are pros and cons to it. In the "Off the Tracks" documentary, Apple engineer Dave Cerf (who was a designer of the magnetic timeline and later assisted Walter Murch) described some of the philosophy behind it. I personally think some other features such as the high-performance skimmer, range-based tagging and pervasive database orientation make a bigger difference in overall productivity.

[Andrew Johnstone] ... 'forgetting tracks' is also nonsense because FCPX uses tracks it just renames them as 'storylines'.

Storylines and audio lanes are quite different from tracks. If a storyline was simply a track by another name, people wouldn't have such a difficult time adjusting to FCPX.

[Andrew Johnstone] ...64 bit v 32 bit aside, FCPX is not necessarily 'faster'. There are plenty of people who have cut 1/2hrs for broadcast in a day on all manner of systems including on FCP7...

You can obviously get the job done with any NLE, and the proficiency of the DIT, Asst. Editor and Lead Editor make a big difference. FCPX is very strong at unscripted high-shooting-ratio material like field documentaries. This has little to do with the magnetic timeline but more involves the skimmer and range-based rating and keywording.

[Andrew Johnstone] ....You are up and running on Premier Pro much more quickly than you are on FCPX as you don't need to wait for the machine to churn to ingest & transcode footage...

I've used Premiere since CS4 and have a subscription to CC. FCPX is generally no different regarding performance of ingest using "leave files in place". It does not require transcoding. You are probably describing ingest with re-wrap which FCPX does by default for certain tree-oriented media formats. Using the right technique, those can usually be imported using "leave files in place", although there is some variation.

[Andrew Johnstone] ....The biggest beef I have with FCPX so far is how it handles media. I have had to use Edit ready to transcode P2 media to ProRes Quicktime files on my last project...

In most cases you don't need to transcode to ProRes using EditReady. It can usually just re-wrap (IOW "passthrough" ) the files which is vastly faster. On FCPX 10.4.3, I can directly import 4k MXF files from a Sony PMW-F55 using "leave files in place", and it works OK. Those can also be re-wrapped via EditReady without transcoding.

It's a good idea to make sure you've installed the latest version of Apple Pro Video Formats: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1947?locale=en_US

[Andrew Johnstone] ...Sharing projects seems problematic... I brought the XML back to my studio and none of my source material would relink to the new XML. The reason? FCPX it seems had created a load of proxy files on the client system (links to ProRes files) that I could not relink on my system...

There are definitely some things you'll need to learn about FCPX media management. It is not perfect but it's possible to work collaboratively and lots of people do that. Ripple Training's media management class covers much of this: https://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/media-management-in-f...

[Andrew Johnstone] ....Adapting to this system has taken most of the editors i know a huge amount of time....

It can definitely take a while to unlearn past ways of doing things and adapt to the new system. It was difficult for me.

[Andrew Johnstone] .....can the magnetic timeline be turned off?..

It cannot be fully and truly disabled. However some describe the Position Tool as "disabling the magnetic timeline". This lets you do certain things but the best approach is use this only when it's unavoidable: https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/understanding-the-fcpx-magn...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]