APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Monitoring an HDR Rec. 2020 PQ project.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Monitoring an HDR Rec. 2020 PQ project.
on Jun 24, 2018 at 5:51:58 pm

[Oliver Peters] "With all due respect Bill, there is no such thing as a "new HDR ProRes RAW" workflow."

Well, if you define "workflow" as the steps you take to create content - then what Apple showed at NAB pretty much DEFINES the term. ProRes RAW didn't exist before that. Jeromy Young SHOWED the workflow for using it to create content. I'd call that "new HDR ProResRAW workflow" exactly as I used the phrase.

[Oliver Peters] "There is nothing inherent about ProResRAW specific to HDR, other than that it preserves a larger dynamic range.
"

Uh, isn't that kinda the "definition" of HDR?

[Oliver Peters] "The workflow is pretty well established, but the standards are still in flux."

Isn't that kind of a HUGE oxymoron? Can it be "established" yet also lack agreed to standards? It's like saying we know what a "pie" is - but since there's no recipe on the table to discuss - there's really no consistent way to create pies for the market. Everyone has to make up their own.

Apple has at least now published a set of bespoke standards for what they see as "pie." You decide the ingredients for the pies you want to produce, but at least you can now get started knowing that there's at least one agreed to standard for the shape, size, crust thickness, and weight. That alone allows you to design the packaging, figure out how many fit in a case, tell the market what to expect as to needed shelf space, and start to figure out pricing.

They've created a consistent system for handling one type of HDR footage from camera to screen. When BlackMagic or Adobe or Google publishes their similar arrangement of format, hardware, software, monitoring and delivery modalities - we can talk about them, I guess. But right now, the HDR world appears to be woefully unfocused and unclear. (For many good reasons)

This should help.

The Apple solution might not be the best, nor the ideal, nor might it address the needs of ALL classes of users perfectly - but at least it HAS moved from the theoretical to the practical realm.

I look forward to other companies following a similar path over time.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]