APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?
on Feb 26, 2018 at 9:50:54 pm

[Ann Marie] "What might seem redundant to you does not seem redundant to me. = ) "

I do understand that what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. I am trying to help work around any limitations presented with FCPX. I think that FCPX has very good organizational tools, but you do have to use them in the way that they are designed.

[Ann Marie] "When you're dealing with a long doc that has 20 or more interviews, as I am and where this thread started from and in not being able to take a long master clip and break it down to subclips without all the subclips carrying the same name as the master clip, that's where the problem is at the moment."

Oh, you are talking clip names. NOT notes. The only to give unique clip names in the Browser is to duplicate the clip, but it gets very messy and I don't recommend it. You can also rename clips on the timeline, and that name will not rename in the Browser. Here's a picture of a clip called "Test" which I spliced twice, added notes to two clips, and renamed two of the segments. Remember this is all from the same clip. If I match frame, it all goes back to the clip "Test".

Since FCPX can't rename subclips, perhaps there's a better way to achieve what you are doing without making tons of compound clips. What information do you get from a clip name that you couldn't get from a keyword or other tag?

[Ann Marie] "The second keyword is only for Compound Clips created. "

As an aside, making smart collections may be a good idea for you as all of your compound clips will end up there, regardless. You can even add a modifier to the clip name like "Clipname_SubClip" and you can tell the smart collection to aggregate just the compound clips with text that includes "_SubClip".

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]