APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Morache
Re: FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?
on Feb 26, 2018 at 4:57:03 pm

Ok... so this is breaking my brain a bit.

It's possible to have an entire clip assigned to a keyword, and also smaller segments of that clip assigned to that keyword.

However, if you have assigned the entire clip to the keyword, you need to do some gymnastics in order to designate a subrange to that same keyword in order to add a note.

Once the entire clip was assigned to a keyword with the subjects name, I selected ranges, assigned them a temporary keyword, added a note then selected all the subranges in that second keyword collection then dragged all the subranges in the second keyword collection onto the original keyword collection icon with the subjects name as the keyword, then shift-deleted the temporary keyword collection in the browser. Now all the subranges with the notes are assigned.

I suppose I could also select the portion of the clip where the questions are asked, or a single frame and un-assign the keyword for that portion, in order to force a subrange that I can add a note to.

Does anyone actually use the notes on the sub ranges? Is this easier than say adding a marker to put a loose verbatim in as the marker name.

I've used markers, however, when I put the browser in list view in order to see the marker names, I also see every subrange and assigned keyword in the list, and I'd love to be able to filter that out, like you can in the timeline index.

I'm also a little afraid that since the keyword for the subranges and the keyword for the entire clip are the same, that the subranges might disappear, and the notes with them.

And of course if I search for a note or a marker, all it does is filter the browser view so I only see the clips with that search term, which means it'll still show me the entire clip.

My brain hurts. This seems harder than it should be.

Ultimately, I'd like a way to loosely log clips in FCPX. If there was a way to print that marker list to get a hard copy of your notes, that'd be great.

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]