APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX Does not import Dual Recorded Audio Files correctly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Declan Smith
Re: FCPX Does not import Dual Recorded Audio Files correctly
on Feb 2, 2018 at 12:45:23 am

I must admit, I prefer working with polywavs, and the poly file generated from the F8 works fine. Polywavs give great flexibility under FCPX. I was running some tests on Mid-Side recording as I need to deliver separate files to a client on a location sound recording gig I will be doing. Having two separate mono files for MS creates a little more work, whereas having a stereo file lends itself much better to work with MS plugins such as MSED.

I have gone through some extensive testing scenarios with Apple to narrow down the problem and it appears to only affect stereo files. If, for example, I record 4 stereo files and import them into FCPX, only one will be imported and it will link to a different one on disk, regardless of whether they are safety tracks.

Good suggestion about marking the safety tracks differently at source to make absolutely clear what they are, although FCPX suffixes them with an instance ID, for example, I have labelled the tracks:

Ch1: Boom-Mid
Ch2: Boom-Side
Ch5: Boom-Mid
Ch6: Boom-Side

FCPX changes these to:

Boom-Mid-1
Boom-Side-1
Boom-Mid-2
Boom-Side-2

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCPX / Adobe CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase