APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graham Read
Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Jan 19, 2018 at 1:47:28 am

Hi again Josh.

I'm starting to see a pattern here which may help.

1 - Before FCP 10.4 I never had these problems
2 - The crashing problem only happens with FCP 10.4 and High Sierra combination.
3 - The crash only happens if there are camera clips that are longer than 4GB - because the BPAV folder structure of EX-1/EX-3 cameras use FAT32 format so the camera "seamlessly" subdivides them into 4GB clips and most editing software apps hide this complexity and present long clips as just a single long clip instead of the _01, _02 that is there if you browse the folder structure in Finder.
4 - FCP 10.4 does not crash in High Sierra if the media card only has short clips.
5 - FCP 10.4 has lost the ability to interpret correctly the BPAV folder structure.
6 - If recording really long clips that are larger than one camera card, the camera spans to another card - This is unworkable in FCP 10.4 even on Sierra as at least one 4GB mp4 sub clip will not appear in the import browser and therefore not be importable. This is infuriating.

My workaround: I now use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode my long form XDCAM EX files to ProRes then import into FCP 10.4 - reminiscent of FCP 7.0 10 years ago with XDCAM Transfer! Can also use Sony XDCAM Browser to Export to FCP 10.4 but Browser is discontinued so doesn't fully support FCPx since introduction of Libraries. You can however export to a folder and then import from there into FCPx.

Advice to Sony BPAV camera users - Don't upgrade main edit system to High Sierra - If I knew about this I would have not upgraded to FCP 10.4 either - colour tools are good but it's screwed my workflow.

Please everybody experiencing this file a bug report from within FCP 10.4 then maybe it will get fixed!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]