APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graham Read
Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:13:49 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes, I've discovered this too. I'm a long time FCPx user and FCP 7 before that.
I first had problems with 10.4 on Sierra whereby the import browser was not seeing all the clips on the SXS card. I was in the habit of using XDCAM Browser software from Sony to merge spanned clips rather than the camera archive method that Apple suggest and had been doing this for years.
The way FCPx 10.4 interprets not only spanned clips but also the forced splitting of clips into 4GB or less due to the FAT32 format of XDCAM EX cards is broken.
As I have been using this for years I was in the habit of also installing the Sony XDCAM plugin.
I was keen to try a clean install of High Sierra and on checking the support site, it suggested that the plugin was only required for 10.2 and older versions of FCPx so I have not installed the plugin on my new clean build but curious if it would solve the problem.
I'm going to file another bug report with Apple - there are not too many people shouting about this problem which is odd.
I was hoping that a clean install would solve my first problem of not interpreting the SXS card files correctly in 10.4 on Sierra, but sadly not the case - it's worse with a total crash out.
Fortunately I've got my Sierra system still running and I can import onto a library there and take the drive with me and it then works on my MBP with High Sierra.
Any thoughts on the necessity of the Sony XDCAM Plugin?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]