APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Ah Ha!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Ah Ha!!
on Sep 29, 2017 at 9:50:26 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Sep 30, 2017 at 1:11:15 am

That would be correct although I personally think you do that with a snapshot more than you would with a duplicate. As others have said a snapshot is exactly what the name implies - a copy of the project, completely frozen in time. Create a snapshot and carry on editing the original knowing that you can go back to that point if you need to and nothing you change upstream will have any effect on it.

If I create a duplicate, it’s more because I want to use it as the basis of a new version so I’ll rename that to V2 and continue editing. In this case, I don’t want to break the upstream relationships with compound or multicam clips - if I go back and tweak something in an upstream compound clip, I want it to ripple down to both the v1 and v2 versions.

A good example is the common practice of putting a temp music track inside a compound clip and editing with that clip - allowing you to swap the music track out globally by just replacing the track inside the compound clip. Duplicate projects maintain their upstream relationship so every duplicate project will inherit the changed music track whereas snapshots are frozen in time so the change won’t happen to them and they will keep the temp track.

Which one you use depends on what changes you want the project to be able to inherit later.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]