APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Are thunderbolt 3 external drives & arrays overkill or worth the investment?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Are thunderbolt 3 external drives & arrays overkill or worth the investment?
on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:04:58 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:08:05 pm

It's a little dated (pre Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C) but this B&H article still covers the foundations of choosing a drive for video editing.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/hard-drive-so...

If you're only talking two drives then even Thunderbolt 1 will be more than fast enough to keep up but if you're editing any quantity of 4k then a two drive array will probably only just deliver enough bandwidth and 10tb will be full in six months. I have single 4k projects that are 2tb+ each.

I'm not saying buy a bigger drive but it sounds like you're intending to have all your data online on this drive all the time but I think you'll definitely need an archive strategy as 10tb will fill up fast.

Just for the record I'm currently using a two drive RAID 0 Thunderbolt 1 enclosure with 4tb of storage. That's been fast enough for most of the things I've been editing but as I said, it's a little clunky if I'm doing say a multicam 4k project. But it's the speed of the two drives that is the bottleneck, not the Thunderbolt connection.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]