APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Are thunderbolt 3 external drives & arrays overkill or worth the investment?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richie Cantrell
Are thunderbolt 3 external drives & arrays overkill or worth the investment?
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:18:38 am

I have a new mbpro 15 w tbar, 1tb ssd & thunderbolt 3. Im looking to buy an external drive or array solution to use to store ALL my files and vids. FCPX is installed on my internal SSD. I plan to set up FCPX so as to "leave files in place" so videos will remain on the external drive when Im editing in FCPX. Whatever I get MUST work well with FCPX. I will also store all completed fcpx projects to the external drive or array. I assumed thunderbolt 3 is faster and that I should look at thunderbolt 3 solutions, however I have been told thunderbolt 3 external drives and arrays are OVERKILL and that I should instead look at usb3 drives & arrays. Im confused about thunderbolt 3 vs other connections. I want a minimum of 10tb of available space, as much speed as possible (drive and transfer), redundancy would be nice and room to grow as space needs & budget change in future. I can't afford ssd plus I need space.

Any advice on SPECIFIC external solution for drive or raid array in the under 1000 range?

Is Thunderbolt 3 overkill or not?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]