APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Transcode to ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ when you captured/shot bitrate falls between the two?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Wilson
Transcode to ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ when you captured/shot bitrate falls between the two?
on Apr 29, 2017 at 1:05:48 am

Hi - I'm curious if some experienced folk have any thoughts on this issue.

Will be editing in FCPX, and grading in Davinici Resolve. I have AVCHD footage shot from a hacked Panasonic GH2 that allowed the bitrate to be approximately 130 Mb/s. I now have to transcode the footage to either ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ. Since transcoding to ProRes 422 typically gives you a file with 117 Mb/s, and transcoding to ProRes 422 HQ usually gives you a file with 176 Mb/s, I want to know if I lose some image quality by transcoding the original higher bitrate 130 Mb/s footage to the 117 Mb/S ProRes 422? Should I be transcoding to 422 HQ to make sure I don't lose image quality?

I had heard in the past that DSLR AVCHD footage doesn't gain much by 422 HQ (vs 422), but I'm wondering if that's because it's typically at a very low bitrate of ~28Mb/s. Since I have my AVCHD at a higher 130 Mb/s, I want to make sure I choose the correct one to transcode to with my goal being the best image quality.

Thanks,
Matt

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]