APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: CHALLENGED! Making transition from FCP7 to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Rofrano
Re: CHALLENGED! Making transition from FCP7 to FCPX
on Mar 25, 2017 at 2:06:38 pm

[Don Smith] "The Magnetic Timeline, as Kannan said, will be frustrating at first. Frustrating! You'll do a lot of "WHY does it not do what I expect?" Well, if what you expect is what track-based NLE's do then, yes, you'll pull your hair out. FCPX is a praradigm shift. Paradigm. Shift. It's a different World View that, once you 'get it', you'll never go back."
+1

I will never go back and I agree with everything that everyone has said. One thing no one mentioned about the praradigm shift, and my little bit of advice is this:

Stop thinking about Tracks

Start thinking about the Story that you are trying to tell

What is the story? (Your Primary Storyline) What are the sub-stories? (create Secondary Storylines for these) What do you need to make the story advance? How do the secondary stories support that? Maybe you just need a cut-away for a moment (use Connected Clips). FCP X is all about facilitating the telling of the story.

There are no "gaps" in telling a story! Editors leave gaps on timelines while they are editing because with track-based NLEs it's so hard to insert something later. With the Magnetic Storyline you can decide that something fits better in the middle of something else and simply grab the clip on the primary storyline and drag it to where you want it to be and everything associated with it, the connected clips, and secondary storylines, the foley, etc. come with it, and what is the most magical is that everything else in the new location moves out of the way to make room without you having to do anything!!! This is the true power of the magnetic timeline. Once you rearrange the story to make it flow better, and everything just falls into place, you will wonder why you waster hours of editing time managing tracks and clips and gaps (on my!). ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]