APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Convert or compress mxf files for easier use in FCP

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Rofrano
Re: Convert or compress mxf files for easier use in FCP
on Feb 21, 2017 at 1:00:56 pm

[Ross Harrison] "Yes, I do always have backups. I've just never worked with XDCAM footage before, so files have always come straight as .mov from a camera and then those are saved plus backed up."
What I do is have a separate drive for all of my Camera Archives. Usually these are 1TB USB 3.0 drives and as soon as I finish shooting I plug the card into my MacBook Pro, plug the USB 3.0 drive in and use Create Camera Archive to archive the entire card to the external drive. Now I have a drive will all of my camera cards. (this also gets backed up btw so that I have 2 copies of all of the cards before I start working).

Then when I'm ready to start work on a project, I attached the camera card archive drive and have the files copied into my Library on my working drive. This ensures that I am always working on a copy of the original media and that I always have all of the metadata that was recorded on the camera card. It is NEVER a good idea to take raw files out of the camera card structure any more than it was a good idea to take DV tape out of it's cartridge! 😉 The camera card structure is the cartridge.

I like the fact that FCP X keeps me honest and requires me to work on copies of the original camera card media. I also don't import the whole card or even the whole clip. I use in and out points to just take the sections of the media that I need which is also why it needs to be copied. That leaves me with smaller Libraries.
[Ross Harrison] "So if I save the MXF files separate to the card file structure, then import with 'leave in place', what happens to the levels? It ends up with levels shifted overexposed as in the following: "
I cannot reproduce this. I downloaded one of the XDROOT HD Log files from the link earlier in this post and I copied one of the files and placed it outside the camera card structure and renamed it. When I import media, both the file inside the camera card structure and external to it come in looking exactly the same (flat as you would expect).

Something is not right on your end. Are you using the latest FCP X 10.3.2? I'm not seeing this behavior and cannot reproduce it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]