APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Convert or compress mxf files for easier use in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Cherin Bower
Convert or compress mxf files for easier use in FCP
on Jan 6, 2017 at 10:32:17 pm

This is my first post and I am new to editing, so bare with me....I shot 4 TB of footage on a Sony PXW-z150 4K XDCAM camcorder mostly in 4k, and I am combining multiple clips in FCPx 10.3.1. The native mxf files are too large for import to FCP and I don't necessarily want to create proxy media for every clip. I prefer to "copy files to library" on import into FCP so I will end up creating large FCP libraries. I'm not too concerned about storage space, but I am concerned about FCP crashes, which I've already experienced in the first two minutes of creating my timeline. I can play each original mxf clip using VLC, but I am unable to scan through the clip to see what is in the video to decide if I want to import to FCP for use, playback is slow and jumpy even though I have a new imac with a fast processor. I ran all 4 TB of footage through compressor and lowered the bit rate just to be able to view the clips quicker in Quicktime. I have now been convinced to re-compress all 4TB of footage in compressor using "4k sharing services" to downsize the original but have a usable clip for editing in FCP. This is ok, except there will be a loss of quality (which I am ok with some, remember I want smaller clips to work with) BUT to compress in compressor I have to import all 4TB of footage into FCP (left files in place on import for this purpose) and manually click on each clip individually, go to file>send to compressor then start a batch. I have spoke with the Apple pro team and Compressor won't except mxf files directly (and I have tried). This is labor intensive and I have already done it to all 4TB and lowered the bit rate (unusable for editing, for viewing purposes only) and it took a very long time for a laptop I designated the task to to process. I can re-wrap the mxf files in compressor on direct import, but again, I have too large of files. Anyone out there have any ideas on how to more efficiently deal with 4TB of mxf files for use in FCP? It is all stored on an external 6TB Promise Pegasus Drive r2+

I would be ideal to be able to view a usable, converted, or compressed mxf clip outside of FCP in Quicktime and I would also trim out the portion I plan to use in FCP with Quicktime and make it smaller, then import to FCP. I have just started manuallt compressing all my footage with "4k sharing services" but I am limited on time. I am ready to import footage into FCP now and have a deadline for my project. ANY IDEAS?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]