APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: An efficient workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: An efficient workflow
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:23:36 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:30:49 pm

Try this... (I call it "3-bucket logging")

Setup the browser in the Spreadsheet mode, not icon mode. (optional, but I find it works best.)
Now the up and down arrow keys do 2 things. Moves to the next or prior clip AND puts your cursor at the first frame.
Don't PLAY. Instead...
Tap I to set an IN point immediately on the very first frame.
Only then Play as fast as you feel comfortable with JKL (2x, 4x, whatever) and watch until the inevitable junk of pre-roll and director stuff is done.
Tap O to set the out point and hit X to REJECT the junk you've just watched.
Instantly tap I to set a new IN. Spacebar to play then JKL to speed up or slow down as needed.
Find an OUT position and pause there. Your first "Possible" is now selected.
Think about what you've just watched.
If it's great - Tap F.
If, on second thought, it's lame - Tap X and add it to the rejects.
If you are unsure, - tap I to set a new in point which will clear the former selection and leave what you just watched as Unrated.
JKL through the next section (which should be outtakes and crap) and tap O and REJECT that too.
At the end of the clip, you'll have "bucketed" everything into 3 categories. Rejects, Favorites and Unrated.
Use the down arrow to go to the next clip and repeat.
When you're done "menu bar tagging" all your content, you'll just HIDE REJECT and you'll be left with TWO classes of clips. Stuff you like - and stuff you're not sure about that you can re-visit again later.

AND you'll have cleared out ALL the crap in your field footage and will never have to look at it again, (unless you decayed want to.)

I can do this now at between 5 and 10 times real time = depending on how well I know the material before I sit down to log.

Enjoy.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]