APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Multicam editing in FCP X - without multi-clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Multicam editing in FCP X - without multi-clips
on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:31:25 am

Beyond that, hanging on to a process that was the ONLY way to functionally do the task in a different program - now that you have new capabilities - begs the question, how do you know there's not a better/easier way using X as it was designed than trying to hold onto what made you comfortable with the older software?

For me the major rush of learning the X way of multi-cam was the amazing improvement in FOCUS it allowed me to achieve while working much, much faster.

Instead of trying to watch 16 (or 40!) shots at a time to pick the best of the moment - I learned that there's not penalty to doing "multiple improvement" passes in X - concentrating on groups of shots rather than trying to judge everything against everything else all the time by necessity.

IN a typical band music video, for example, during a blazing guitar solo, I STILL do my first pass, picking just a generic guitar featuring shot - knowing that when I make my second pass over JUST THAT SECTION, I' can call up every single camera that involves the guitar player and change any of my selections - at any point in time - at will. And I can just as easily switch groups AFTER I make that cut that I *think* is my final - to see if there might be some oddball reaction from another musician or a crowd reaction to cut in if I think THAT would improve the scene flow.

Essentially, I discovered that having too many cameras was hardly EVER as good a way to create exactly the "switch" that I wanted - compared to being able to very easily focus on groups of shots and build and re-build at will - switching out shot groups at will.

Multi-cam in X is so incredibly stress free compared to the way I used to do it - that I can't even imagine going back to the old way.

But to each their own.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]