APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Magnetic Timeline Intervention

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Solution
Jeremy Garchow
Re: Magnetic Timeline Intervention
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:46:57 pm

[Tom Brooks] "Of course, it totally defeats the ability of FCX to keep the hundreds of clips in sync. How can I convince this editor that his life will be better if he stops doing that and forces himself to think in terms of storylines?"

To each their own, but I find working without the primary storyline destroys FCPX's strengths. If there is no strength anymore, why use it?

My suggestion would be to edit in the primary, but have the position tool on all of the time.

This slows down the horizontal magnetic movement of the timeline, and when he needs to use what people refer to as "ripple mode", he needs to switch to the arrow tool. This (sort of) flip flops FCPX's primary default magnetism.

Once he learns a bit more about the timeline, and learns when (and when not) to use the magnetism, he'll edit with the arrow tool more and more. For some people, it might be easier to learn how to use the primary storyline's strengths by having 'ripple mode' off and adding it when you need it, instead of having it always on, and doing things you may not expect.

I'm not sure if focusing on what exactly needs to be in the storyline is needed right up front, but it does help a little bit. I like to think of it as whatever is controlling time (or length) of that particular scene, section, or entire timeline should go in the primary. To me, primary storyline (for the most part) = time.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]