APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Gage
Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:05:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What is bothering me is that you say that FCPX "hoses the drive"."

I'm sure you can see how I would come to that conclusion. It just doesn't seem like hardware could screw up the directory structure. As I said earlier, the last time the drive got hosed, it was immediately after doing some moves with media from within FCP X and then the program got confused and beach balled. I did all the usual stuff like quitting and trashing prefs and such and then went back into FCP X and needed to re-import and re-link some files. I made it through the session, but the next time I plugged the drive in... hosed. Certainly could have been coincidence, but it didn't feel like it.

[Jeremy Garchow] " This can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually related to some hardware type of weirdness, at least in my experience."

That's new to me, but I don't have a ton experience with this particular issue.

[Jeremy Garchow] "OSX has the capability to build a Raid1 on its own."

I asked OWC about that when I re-did the RAID setup last time and they recommended I use their app and not the Disk Utility version.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I would want to restripe your drives with the OSX raid1 and see if it does any better.
if not, I'd swap the SATA card.
If that doesn't work, I'd swap the enclosure."

All good suggestions and I'll likely go in that direction in a couple of months. The economy and youtube has really killed my business and I'm about 4 years behind the curve in getting video up on my websites (which is why I'm here in the FCP world in the first place). I'm fairly optimistic that with a few months of shooting and editing, I should be able to get going again financially. Then, I'll upgrade RAM and FCP X and the OS and take a hard look at where I want to go with the drive situation. As I mentioned earlier, I'm diligent with backup, so when I re-do the RAID, I will likely go to RAID 0. In the meantime, it's workaround city and try to keep working.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]