APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:57:22 am

[Dave Gage] "It's been a while since I did it and haven't given it a thought since. I think you are correct, at this stage it may look like two drives, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I can tell you're getting at something, but I don't know what it is yet."

What is bothering me is that you say that FCPX "hoses the drive".

What you have explained to me is some sort of drive or more likely controller type of "failure". If Disk Warrior is helping you, the catalogs are getting scrambled. This can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually related to some hardware type of weirdness, at least in my experience.

It could be the SATA card, the controller in the drive itself (if there is one), or something to do with how this weird software is controlling the hard drives.

OSX has the capability to build a Raid1 on its own.

I would want to restripe your drives with the OSX raid1 and see if it does any better.

if not, I'd swap the SATA card.

If that doesn't work, I'd swap the enclosure.

In cost order, it goes:

Costs nothing but time and a backup.

Costs a new sata card that will be useful for as long as you use sata drives.

More expensive at which point you might think about another type of upgrade (Thunderbolt, etc)

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]