APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Gage
Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:25:13 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I don't understand is if it's a hardware or software raid."

I couldn't tell you. I never really got that deep into it. It seems to be a hybrid if that makes any sense.

[Jeremy Garchow] " I looked at the website and it says it comes with SoftRAID."

That SoftRAID doesn't sound familiar. My enclosure is about 2 years old now, it might be a slightly different model and software.

[Jeremy Garchow] " Even if you weren't using FCPX and you started moving files around, it would probably fail."

That very well could be, but since it's dedicated to FCP X, I will likely never know.

[Jeremy Garchow] "
You shouldn't have to run Disk Warrior that much."

I don't know if I need to, but it's very fast to run and it makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it. I suppose once every few months would be fine.

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you put in two brand new drives in that enclosure, what do you have to do?"

Go to Disk Utility and format each drive to Mac OS Extended (non-journaled in this case). Open the OWC Config app: Use raid 1 check box only (everything else should be left blank).
--

I just found a few of my notes from my last major crash:

"9/19/12 Called and talked to Chris again. Raid 1 enclosure won't mount now. Error comes up "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Took the two drives out and tried them separately, but both drives had the same "not readable" error. Ran Disk Utiltiy's Disk Repair and it had the errors "Invalid B-Tree node size" and couldn't fix it. Bought Disk Warrior for $108.90."

"Note also the further comments from OWC relating to my question of what is the configuration if there is a failed drive. This is fairly important as well. The RAID Mirror is rebuilt from the Primary Drive (plugged into the circuit board). So if the Primary drive fails you will need to swap them over before inserting the new drive. Having said that, if I get failed drive I will probably back-up to another disk (which I sort of do anyway) and rebuild the Raid entirely."

Q: One of my drives failed and I replaced it. Do I need to connect it to the computer to rebuild the data?
A: No, the rebuild will occur without being connected to the computer as long as the power is turned on to the enclosure.

Also according to my notes, my enclosure is officially:
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro "Quad"- 2 drive enclosure, Oxford 936 chipset.
--

Anyway, I don't know if any of this sheds more light on the issue or not, but now you know what I know.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]