APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:43:04 pm

[Dave Gage] "I only need one port and prior research told me that the speed limitation would be the drives and not the connection."

It's not just the speed limitation, it's everything that comes with it. Relibaility being one of them.

[Dave Gage] "The RAID becomes unreadable by the OS and Disk Utility and asks to reformat it when connected. I and MacSales.com thought it was a bad enclosure (although I'm beginning to trust their support less and less). The second time the disk became unreadable, I bought Disk Warrior and gave it a shot. (The first time I took the drives out, reformatted, and copied from a backup). Disk Warrior saw the drive, fixed the directory structure and all data was intact."

This is insane.

[Dave Gage] "I think it may come from a combination of moving events and projects from within FCP X and also using the Finder to move events and projects manually (always on the same drive though as from "Final Cut Events" to "Final Cut Events NOT-USING". The last time it happened I had recently used the Move and Consolidate functions from within the program which crashed the FCP X and forced me to re-boot FCP X and the computer before it would work again.

I assume FCP X is the culprit because the only time this drive is used or connected is when I'm using FCP X. There is nothing else on there but events, projects, and media. A couple of years ago it was the FCP 7 Capture drive, but I never had any problems with it."

This is insane x2.

FCPX would not causes any of this. My feeling is you have a bad enclosure, or simply failing hard drives.

The first (and cheapest) step is to buy the Sonnet card. You can always get the THunderbolt dongle for it if you'd like (Also from Sonnet) http://sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

It's not for drive speed, it's so that your drives don't crap out, which has nothing to do with FCPX.

How are you setting up Raid 1?

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]