APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Timecode Reader anyone?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Timecode Reader anyone?
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:36:23 pm

[Bruce Wittman] "Your idea works if my client uses FCPX also. These 139 clips are time of day coded. That means each shot has a time code that may not be sequential. Shot 12 may be 9:25:00 and the shot 13 could have 12:23:44 tiomecode, so your timeline timecode will not work in this case."

Bruce,

Yeah, I get that. What I'm actually saying is that the way I used to think about timecode when I started back in the analog era, was that whatever the timecode was that the camera stamped onto the tape - that was the timecode that followed shots down the entire production pipeline. With few exceptions.

What's changed for me is that once I got into the realm of digital files, where (depending on your workflow, of course) virtually lossless digital cloning of media is possible, I had to re-think things in the face of the fact that there's really no functional penalty for making an early stage clone of my field stuff - and making THAT my new master source. And if you can do that. You can make changes like timecode application and scene order at that point.

I couldn't do that back in the day, because every generation WAS a degredation and the goal was to keep as close to the original quality as possible.

Today I don't worry about that.

So I'm saying that if I *KNOW* that I'm going to be working in ProRes exclusively after camera ingest, then there's not as much value in trying to preserve links back to the camera master timecode - I can just distribute my clone to EVERYONE in the production chain - with the timecode I specify - and everyone can proceed from that new starting point.

Again, I don't understand your workflow so there could be ample reason that you need to match back to a tape on a shelf or even the clone of a field file in an archive somewhere. So it's perfectly possible that you can't use my suggestions. And that's fine. But I just seem to run into a lot of folks who follow the older traditions when those don't "necessarily" always make quite as much sense in the new digital era as they did in the old.

Only you know your workflow well enough to know whether something suggested here will work for you.

Along with everybody else, I'm just guessing and trying to help.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]