APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Timecode Reader anyone?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Timecode Reader anyone?
on Aug 9, 2012 at 12:33:33 am

[Bruce Wittman] "Hey Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. In my case, I have 139 shots (Sony XDCAM) that need window timecode.
"

Ok.

I think the central truth is that if you're planning to use X as an "intermediary" solution and need to read that original timecode in order to coordinated with an outside editor that must reference the original numbers, the "closed" FCP-X system is not going to work well for this.

If you're just looking to do window burns for use with clients to coordinate a paper edit - then there's nothing to stop you from dragging all 139 clips onto a timeline and doing a timecode burn out of that.

I do that all the time for clients - and it's fast and easy.

And you can use the notes to keyword selects from that window burn timeline and use "reveal in event browser" to transfer your ranges back into your Event.

So in that sense, the "original" timecode becomes inconsequential if (and it's a BIG if) you can remain in X through your entire edit..

But I understand that if you must have references to the camera files because more than one editor with different systems need to use your X selects as a general purpose logging database, it's not as automatic to get that exported at this stage in the X development cycle.

I'm willing to bet that this will change over time, because at heart it's a big database, and importing and exporting data is one of the core capabilities of every database.

But for now, you probably need a different tool.

Sorry.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]