APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX Freelance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: FCPX Freelance
on Nov 10, 2017 at 7:24:01 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Funny thing is, many of these "YouTubers" videos have better production quality than some of the reality TV crap out there. But they are called "YouTubers" and "hobbyists" while the reality TV is on the high-pedestal of "broadcast editor"!

and so it goes...."

You are conflating some things. No one is equating YouTuber w/hobbyist, just that lots of hobbyists are YouTubers. For every Freddie Wong or iJustine or RWJ there are literally millions of other users that are, well, very, very pedestrian. Taken holistically content that makes it to theaters, streaming services, TV/cable, etc. is higher quality than what's uploaded to YT. Hell, even YouTube keeps trying to shake off it's lower-budget image with things like the YouTube Channel Initiative (now defunct), YouTube Spaces, YouTube Red, etc.,. It's just the way it is.

It's also a reason so many successful YouTubers try and go beyond YouTube. For example, not long ago I was working with a very successful YouTuber on a documentary and I asked why they didn't make it a web series. I thought the topic of the do would be great for that format, plus they already had a huge online audience to tap into. They said they'd already been there/done that and that they wanted to take on a bigger challenge. It's was part of a bigger plan at their production company to prove that they could do more than just 'web videos'. They were setting their sights on bigger budgets, more prestige, and a chance to do projects that wouldn't do well on YouTube.

I started working in digital/New Media in 2006 and did that full time until 2012. Even though I've mixed in some unscripted broadcast/cable shows and indie doc work the majority of my work has been in Digital. And thankfully 'Digital' has become a bigger thing because working on it in 2006 certainly didn't have the same ring to it that it does today. My Digital gigs ran the gambit from bare bones, run-n-gun to working out of giant production trucks and TV studios. But, generally speaking, the expectations (and pressure) have always been higher when I've been doing broadcast/cable work. "Don't worry about it, it's just for the web" is a phrase I've heard over and over again. If you are distributing via regular YouTube, Vimeo, or your own site the deliverables and QC are totally self-determined.

Finally, LOL, trust me, editing reality TV doesn't get you put on any sort of pedestal. LOL. I've been to industry events where the presumption by the panelists was that everyone working in unscripted TV really wanted to work in scripted TV since scripted TV was 'real' editing and unscripted was just unadulterated crap. Of course this was years ago before there was a resurgence in quality unscripted TV (and the later re-branding of unscripted into sub genres like reality TV, docu-series, docu-follow, docu-drama, etc.,). These days I think theres a little more respect for unscripted projects, though scripted (both TV and film) is still seen as the pinnacle of the art/craft (in some ways I agree, in others I don't).

But I digress.

TL;DR, There's stratification in our industry, just like there's stratification in every industry, and I don't know why people try to pretend there isn't. It's like saying there's no difference at all in the overall level of talent, monetization, prestige, etc., between the Arena Football League, the CFL and the NFL.

And so it goes...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]