APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX Freelance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: FCPX Freelance
on Nov 10, 2017 at 4:17:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "Curious as to why folks in those “not for profit” operations decided to part with $300-400 bucks when there are plenty of capable cheap or free alternatives -"

Maybe the free/cheaper alternatives don't meet their needs? If you head over to DVXUser or DVinfo (or even the digital video forum on Macrumors) you'll see a lot of hobbyists/enthusiasts that are more than willing to pay for the tools they want to use even though their projects aren't intended to be money makers. The free version of Resolve is obviously a compelling target, but if someone's more comfortable working with X then they'll probably think the cost of entry is worth it. Not long ago this same category of people were paying about the same amount for Final Cut Express or even more for FCP Legend.

[Bill Davis] "it would probably be equally interesting to determine the percentage of the Adobe Subscribers base who pay their monthly $XX and never edit a frame of video for money."

Isn't there an old joke about PPro being a 'free' NLE that came bundled with AE? 😉

Joking aside, if someone prefers Adobe's tools then they are probably okay paying the annual fee. I mean, I think I'm slated to spend more annually on my rock climbing hobby than I do on CC, and rock climbing certainly doesn't earn me any money.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Are THEY "editors" or do the live up to everyone's so distinct idea of "PRO"?"

If they are anything like the YouTubers I've worked with they wouldn't call themselves editors even though they might edit their own videos. To that point, I haven't see either one use the title of "editor" to label themselves. I think it's normal to draw distinctions between being able to do something, being able to get paid to do something, and being able to specialize in something. For example, on many of my smaller projects I not only edit I also do sound design, gfx, mixing, grading, etc., but I don't label myself a sound designer or graphic artist. I'm an editor and I can certainly do those other things if need be, but speaking in generalities, I think it would be pretty egotistical of me to assume I can do them as quickly and effectively as someone that's been doing it all day, every day for years and years.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Either way I'd say anyone actually putting more relevance and value into what feature A, B or C Hollywood edited on and none into these "just some YT vloggers" is making a huge mistake in terms of relevance for the global market in the long term and might want to rethink his use of such a high horse. 😏"

Global market in terms of what? And do you think that FCP.co is up on a high horse as well with their focus on films and TV shows?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]