APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why FCPX?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Why FCPX?
on Oct 9, 2017 at 7:32:55 pm

[Bill Davis] "Often the smartest path is to take a small efficiency hit today - in order to gain a larger and on-going efficiency boost later."

Bill, I agree, but this is much easier said than done. For a freelance editor, the decision to adopt a new NLE is pretty straightforward. For a team with multiple interdependencies, it's much harder. Every decision on a team has ripple effects, so changing a single piece of the workflow or slowing down a specific step for retraining may have broad ramifications (positive or negative). Optimizing a system is very different than optimizing its components.

Also, the question of which efficiency boosts to chase is deceptively complex. Every major software solution in the world has a nice pile of case studies that shows how it's more "efficient" than its competitors. How do I know whether I'll see the best efficiency boost from FCPX, or Creative Cloud, or Resolve/Fusion, or Flame, without actually putting in all the training and real-world production tests to find out? How much risk should I tolerate to find out?

Again, I'm with you. I'd rather disrupt myself than have someone else disrupt me. I just think that the real cost of switching is higher than the price tag suggests. (My opinion here has changed in the six years since I wrote the articles I linked above!)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]