APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?
on Oct 9, 2017 at 6:35:38 am

[Greg Janza]"Did you watch the Yedlin videos?"

Yes I saw them a while back. I've read similar arguments in lots of Red Shark editorials too. I also understand the role of things like lenses, camera filters, particulate matter in the air etc and being a grader, using post tools. Noise is an old trick for increasing perceptual sharpness for example.

The pixel juggernaut is rolling on because neither Red nor NHK care about those things. They will supply demand. Netflix's newest deliverables specs are similarly ridiculous as the Alexa is considered sub par but preferred by cinematographers. I get the frustration of cinematographers. I am now using my Ursa Mini 4.6 to take stills from a 60 fps video stream and sold my Canon 5dMK2 because I prefer the look of the Ursa @ 4:1 compressed RAW to the 5D at near 6k and RAW. Partly because I prefer to grade in Resolve but also because it is a fantastic way to get the killer moment in action and the great look of that camera.

So when studios or post pipelines demand 8k+ they will get it and the camera manufacturers are already gearing up to supply it. It doesn't have to make absolute sense in perceptual terms. Ultimately the 8k cameras will look better and that may not be about pixel count, but they will have better color science, lower noise and greater dynamic range. They will also have higher pixel counts.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]