APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?
on Oct 8, 2017 at 3:11:51 am

[Andre van Berlo] "So in theory the new imac pro could edit it but wouldn't have the 8k display and have 5k instead."

Editing 8k is more than just GPU. Drive through put & CPU cores/ threads matter as well. An iMac would not be a machine I would think of when editing 8k unless it was a proxy workflow. The machines that need the real grunt are the ones doing the grading & finishing. They are less likely to be a Mac these days as Win or Linux machines are easier to build and upgrade with the latest grunt from the widest selection of manufacturers.

If the new MacPro is looking to play in that high end space then I would be surprised. I'm not sure they will have any advantage other than a personal preference for an OS. I think the days of Mac being at the forefront of hardware grunt for post production has past and I don't see they have much incentive to play in that space.

As to the general thing of RED and Apple seeming to be in a partnership, I am curious to see if it is serious or just a bit of vanity. I would have thought the best advantage for Apple to come from RED would be their Hydrogen phone screens. Much of the profit in an iPhone goes to Samsung for the screens. Maybe this dabble with production bundling is more to do with RED ultimately supplying phone and tablet screens to Apple. Curious then that the Hydrogen is Android, but then again so is Samsung phones.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]