APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: RED 8k camera, a sign of things to come from apple?
on Oct 8, 2017 at 2:22:32 am

[Andre van Berlo] "Not sure what kind of horsepower is needed to edit 8k footage but i am assuming it needs a seriously beefy workstation.

A lot of the beef needs to be in the graphic processors. 8 gig of on board graphics RAM is considered minimum for 4k so a suitable graphics card with a minimum 16 gig DDR GPU is required possibly more. Which is why I would expect a PC with onboard slots for such a beast of a card will be available sooner than a Mac Pro is likely to be. Also Apple will need to be giving better options for NVIDIA graphics as they are currently ahead of the game.

The idea of putting the GPU in the monitor is silly unless the GPU is fully upgradeable by a user. Monitors last years longer than a GPU. I've been upgrading GPU two to three times faster than display monitors. Also if you want to see 8k on a monitor, then via a Decklink type card is probably smarter so you see true color space and frame rates. Your computer monitors do not need to display 8k to edit but a separate display monitor that you can calibrate that displays everything from Rec 709 to HDR is a better bet. Also watching 8k on a monitor smaller than 30 inch is also not that smart. I'm grading 4k on a 65" LG monitor. Next purchase will be an OLED and if I jump to 8k it is likely 85" so I can see what 8k footage looks like in full size full res.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]