APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Why FCPX?
on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:32:19 pm

[Oliver Peters] "So I'm not sure anyone is any safer."

But they objectively ARE safer.

The modern cost and accessibility of MAKING changes has shifted remarkably.

Switching an installed production system for a group of editors used to take millions of dollars in capital investment.

You needed on-staff engineers. Integrators. And a host of technical folks to accompany the multi-thousand dollar components in the racks that enabled you to "edit."

Now that array of technology has been "Swiss cheesed" out of recognizable shape.

Whole swaths of tasks - graphics - color - sound - traffic - have been replaced by easily accessible - off the shelf solutions as or more capable compared to the bespoke tools of the past - just look at in-house collaborative communications systems that were needed in the TV station era. Wire machines, fax machines, police scanners, elaborate PBX style phone systems - all totally replaceable now by running those same functions on the same computer you edit on. Your standard editorial computers - running Slack, Frame.io or Google Docs or just EMAIL, blows up whole slices of needed infrastructure.

The landscape is HUGELY different. Yet, many editors and facilities are struggling mightily with coming to terms with these changes.

They have an "approved" mindset based (in too many cases IMO), on infrastructure that they hold onto-because thats' what they invested in long ago and it's really easy just to keep thinking in those established workflow terms.

Some are changing. A few months ago I was in a local NetWork TV station shop and sat behind the folks working on a nationally syndicated show - and all the work was happening on "off-the-shelf" iMacs running X. Not a badge from Grass Valley, For-A, Quantel, Sony, Otari or really ANY of the common NAB "pro class" names of my youth to be seen in the suite.

It's likely exactly the same in the Premiere shops too.

The point is, when the bill for switching EVERYTHING isn't something like 2.6 million for a serious multi-editor shop - but maybe $100K - that changes everything.

Risk is dramatically lowered. And that's the definition of "safer."

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]