Creative COWSIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: The Magnetic Timeline – What’s The Paradigm? On Clips and Tracks

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: The Magnetic Timeline – What’s The Paradigm? On Clips and Tracks
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35:54 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I don't see how the "track model" is based on anything but how clips relate to one another; FCPX continues in this continuity."

With the track model, clip relationships are only implied by where clips fall in time. Put a cutaway on V2. It's probably timed in relationship to something that happens in a shot on V1, right? But a track-based NLE doesn't know that. All it knows is that there are a bunch of shots on V1 that start and end at specific time indexes, and now there's this shot on V2 that starts and ends at specific time indexes.

FCP X allows for the explicit representation of relationships between clips on different 'tracks' via clip connections, and the explicit representation of relationships between clips on the same track via storylines.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "When you write "timed to …" I suspect you are trying to describe something else - maybe "triggered in reference to" or a similar concept. This is a very useful idea and a welcome addition to tools in timelines. In agreement with other comments, I don't see how this requires a "trackless model". We may well see similar tools coming in other NLEs.
"

If you keep tracks around, your sequences have two basic organizational principles interacting with each other in various ways that aren't necessarily going to make sense. For instance, the connection-based model implies one thing about what to do in the case of clip collisions (overlap clips, which is displayed by showing them layered in vertical space), while the track-based model implies another behavior (overwrite, because the new clip is explicitly being placed into the same 'slot' occupied by the old one).

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESJOBSNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn GroupCreative COW Facebook PageCreative COW on Twitter
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]