APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why FCPX?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Hancock
Re: Why FCPX?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 2:38:32 am

[andy patterson] "If I have four dialogue tracks, four effects track, one sound track and an ambient music track and the producer wants just an export of the four dialogue tracks I can have it done in one second by simple soloing the four tracks using my $59.99 Korg nanoKontrol 2 control surface. I don't have to mouse click after mouse click after mouse click to mute and solo tracks. There is also no time spent upfront assigning roles. I can also EQ the entire audio track and clean it up in seconds. You can do it clip by clip as well. "

It's just as fast in FCPX, but different. Assigning roles, especially for something as broad as "music", "dialogue", and "effects" takes a couple seconds for an entire project. Select all of your music and assign the audio role as Music. You never think about it again as you're editing, and its takes a few seconds. Same with Dialogue, Effects, etc... If Apple would allow you to assign a role to an event, or a keyword, you could automate 99% of the process. I've requested that multiple times.

The only time roles is an issue is if you don't assign it before you begin editing. After you've dropped a clip into your timeline there is no way to assign a role at the event level and ripple it to your sequence. I've requested that quite a few times too!

And roles are useful for more than just exporting splits. Like Charlie has talked about - it's when you get a ton of specific requests for mixing dialogue/effects, music/effects, mono with stereo, etc... - roles make it easy to do all that from one sequence, and quickly. And you can save your role exports so you don't have to mouse click like crazy. I have one saved that exports just Color, Graphics, 2Pop/Slate, and FINAL MIX. I set it up once, and that's used for every master export I do.

Play around with it and you'll see how versatile and powerful it is. I'd love to see a "roles" type export from Avid and Premiere, but with their track based system. I really miss tracks for my video - audio, not so much.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]