APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple's official Pro Apps compatibility chart for High Sierra

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Apple's official Pro Apps compatibility chart for High Sierra
on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:11:20 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Completely aside from the fact that I don't see how anyone still stuck on 7 of all things could even give two hoots about their version of OS. Because if that is in fact an issue, then it's purely self-made, plain and simple imho."

I understand the plight that FCP7 users find themselves in. A new machine will not run the old OS, so if their older computer dies, they are out of luck.

In retrospect, best practice for closing out a job should have included exporting XML. But prior to the release of FCPX, .fcp files were forward-compatible, so I can understand why people were not kicking out XML on each job as a matter of course.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Oh right. It's totally Apple's fault and responsibility. Those jerks! [/s] So… where was Adobe's Freehand converter again?"

I agree with you that it's unreasonable to expect indefinite support from any developer for legacy software.

But on the other hand, Apple could have done something, anything, to ease the transition from FCP7 to FCPX.

Adobe managed the FreeHand/Illustrator transition by shipping a FreeHand importer with Illustrator from (IIRC) CS3 - CS5. That's almost 5 years of FreeHand support. Of course it didn't always work perfectly, but at least you got something. The other A's (Autodesk and Avid) are luminaries in forward-compatibility. You can open decades-old archives and bins with today's releases.

FCPX is exceptional in our industry, in many ways. One of them is its lack of any legacy support at all -- but we are 6 years into FCPX, so this should take no one by surprise.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]