APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Informal NLE poll

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Informal NLE poll
on Jul 16, 2017 at 3:27:29 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "I am SO happy I get to choose which NLE I use. :D"

Oddly enough over the past 17yrs there's only been two times I've been unhappy with the chosen NLE and both of those times I had a hand in choosing which NLE was used. 😄

The first was when I was fresh out of college and built my own PC for editing based on Premiere and the Matrox RT2500. I had used MC in college (well, technically Media Express), had barely touched FCP 1.0, and never owned a Mac. I was already a 'pc guy' so going with Premiere seemed the best and most cost effective route. Little did I know that in LA at the time you either used MC (for budgeted projects) or FCP (for lo/no budget projects). No one took you seriously if you used Premiere (which at the time had a rep for only being good for weddings and corporate videos). Looking back, trying to find a way to afford a Mac and FCP would've been much more difficult, but it also would've been a better use of my money.

The second time was a few years ago when I worked on a documentary with another editor. Long story short, we were debating between PPro and MC. It had a lot of stills that would need to be manipulated so we were leaning towards PPro because Avid's pretty kludgey in that regard, but we were only a very tight deadline and much more familiar with the ins and outs of Avid when turning over sound and picture to be finished out of house. In the end we went with the devil we knew (Avid), but in retrospect I think PPro would've been fine on the turnovers and it certainly would've been been a better cutting experience given all the stills we used. That project certainly leaned on PPro's strengths more than it leaned on Avid's strengths.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]