APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Informal NLE poll

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Informal NLE poll
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:33:25 pm

The % of work flowing into my post finish studios is still FCP7 60%. Next is Premiere around 25%. Avid around 15% and X 10%. However I am seeing and hearing from many legend holdouts and some recent converts to Premiere that Resolve is where they are now looking. I have just pulled the old MacPro out of the rack and intend to sell it with the FCP Studio software before it is too late. Legend will crumble soon but not with people going to X in my world. X remains niche and only a few film maker friends use it exclusively. So that is the state of NLEs for docos in the antipodes. The serious interest in Resolve since the beta release of 14 at NAB is the trend to watch.

I had an interesting Skype session with Paul Saccone from Blackmagic yesterday as part of an article I am writing about the marriage of Resolve and Fairlight. He said that Blackmagic's philosophy is to have an eco system where a single tool can obviate the need for translation between different software. So the idea is that editors, graders and sound post can all work within the one tool and collaboratively. This suits the needs of the bunker mentality sole maker who shoot, edit, grade and mix their shows. The big facilities can use the collaborative workflows of having separate users log in to a project and take control of grade or Fairlight pages while the editor can be making trims. The send/return to Fusion also means that a single software environment can complete post without needing to translate between other NLE, DAW and VFX software.

At the same time they will be totally supporting interchange with other NLEs. I think this is going to be very significant. They are under no illusions they are catching up on the NLE front but they are catching up fast. The 14 release is the biggest fundamental change they have ever done with a total re coding of the engine with huge speed increases. With Fairlight they have also introduced audio clip stacking to picture editors and I can tell you there will be some raised eybrows when editors start to realise the elegance and power of audio manipulation that us sound post people have been trumpeting for years.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]