APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!
on May 2, 2017 at 11:49:52 am

[Andrew Kimery] "I think deep and thorough asset management is more useful in some instances than others. For example, on reality TV shows I don't think it's that paramount because the lifespan of these projects is so fast. "

Avid thinks it's very important for reality TV, and pitch their Interplay MAM for this: 'The high shooting ratios and multiple camera angles of Reality TV and unscripted programming pose enormous challenges in managing and logging more media than ever before,” said Chris Gahagan, senior vice president of Products and Services at Avid."' http://www.avid.com/fr/press-room/2013/04/avid-interplay-production-simplif...

So the debate is not between FCPX and Premiere but between using an asset manager vs not using one. Does Vashi's demonstration mean that feature films can be always be efficiently made without an asset manager? Does it mean that much larger projects with higher shooting ratios can always be efficiently made just using timelines and bins? Then who is buying and using Interplay, CatDV, etc. and for what?

I'm not saying media asset management must be used, but it's just a logical progression. Over the decades as the data management burden has grown, we first used paper, then index cards, then spreadsheets, and finally databases. This is in many fields, not just film & video production. In the 1960s, Boeing designed the 747 on paper and kept track of the six million parts using file folders. Today they design new airliners with CAD which is linked to a component database.

If it's not beneficial to tag, keyword and organize content, then why does Adobe Lightroom support this? Why not just keep all the photos in named folders (ie bins), and make collections (ie stringouts) for various groups of interest? We widely accept the benefit of database tagging and keywording for stills, so why not video?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]