APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!
on May 1, 2017 at 11:10:41 pm

[Joe Marler]"I just don't think this organizational method is efficiently scalable to larger productions and higher shooting ratios, esp. docs"

Talking to editors over the years, it seems the ratio bloat has required more efficient organizational and technical systems but the one characteristic that I don't hear is that they want less time to consider their edits. So there comes a time when no amount of metadata or computer power is going to change that basic limit. No matter how fast you can manage footage and edit alternatives, time is needed to just sit and consider.

On the issue of ratios, I think camera crews need to have a better awareness of story and listen so they know when they can button off. 4K, 6K and 8K should give pause to just rolling the camera in hope that something vaguely interesting or relevant might happen. As I've gotten back in the saddle and shooting and producing docos after many years in post, I am very aware of thinking about story, setting up situations and not just using the camera as a notebook will make the editing more about craft and less about data management. One way is to make the director go through the rushes and mark up by whatever method. The real bloat in docos in shooting ratios based on lazy technique, not software to manage it.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]