APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Markers or Metadata - The Debate!
on Apr 30, 2017 at 7:01:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What he's doing is essentially the same as every NLE editor working on shows, films and docs has done prior to the introduction of FCPX and still today if they don't work on X. So why would you think that it doesn't work on other forms?"

I dont recall anyone saying "it doesn't work" Oliver.

My contention has always been that it's "significantly more efficient" to deploy the tools Apple built into X to bring order to the chaos of increasing complexity in today's post landscape. Those tools were PRECISELY designed to do that. Reduce repetitive actions, eliminate unnecessary steps, and re-structure editorial thinking more in line with file-based and metadata based modern workflows - and pay less homage to the classic processes that developed during the analog era.

It makes perfect sense if someone who has been cutting on AVID for the past 15 years feels that any efficiency gain is NOT worth the pain of adaptation for them. That's totally rational.

The extra efficiency, however, may be VERY important for many types of editors - and, in fact, it may be critical for those who see the flood of complexity increasing in their practices and find themselves needing to produce more good work faster, just to keep up with their clients expectations.

From my talks with the big European producers switching to X, the reason most cited is EFFICIENCY. They value getting more work done faster. The editors enjoy switching their thinking towards less time in software operations and more time in the content.

Sure ALL NLE users are able to reach that state. But it's hard to argue that the reasons for all the design changes in X were aimed at anything OTHER than to make the creation and deployment of modern digital video and audio content faster and easier.

In this recent release, once again, one highlight - direct titling at the timeline/clip level? AGAIN, puts them closer to where X went more than 6 years ago.

Or am I missing something here?

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]